Here, the Lubliners used to buy carp or roach. Fish last in the Square’s name and in the name of the Rybna St. that leads to it. In 1945-49, at the corner of the Square and Noworybna St, the Central Committee of Jews was organized by the Holocaust survivors.
In the 16th century, waxworks and a brewery operated here. Later, in the 19th century, the square became a representative place – the Pawęczkowski Palace was erected in the former, never completed church of Trinitarian Order.