The word comes from the German language. It is not a specific name – it means a reloading yard. The similar sites are in Warsaw and Łódz. Before the war, it was used by a slaughterhouse. In the 1942, on the orders of Globocnik, an Austrian Nazi, the German police and SS troops used it to send Lublin Jews to the Belzec Death Camp. Umschlagplatz is thus a word that will, until the end of time, in all languages, mean more than just reloading yard.