The synagogue was built in 1810 on the site where there had previously been a wooden synagogue destroyed by fire since the early 18th century. The brick synagogue was also severely damaged in a fire in 1876, but extensive renovation was immediately undertaken. After many years of renovations, it was completed in 1897. During World War II, the synagogue was devastated by the Nazis. The last services were held here in 1995.